Thursday, November 8, 2018

What Haunts Me





On most days my top existential concern is for Spaceship Earth. It is the tiny fragile container of all life in our corner of a vast universe. Many refer to it as Mother Earth, encompassing the concepts of birth, nurturance and devotion. My global concerns fall under the all inclusive topic: Life on Earth. I see action against global warming (or climate change for those confused by the varied and multitudinous impacts of warming) as not only critical, but urgent for continued life on earth.

We have squandered irretrievable decades since the impacts of carbon emissions on our atmosphere (hence climate) were identified and quantified by climatologists. Had we (the world, but especially the largest contributors to atmosphere degradation) begun then reducing carbon based economic activity, not only would the transition have been easier and cheaper, it would have lowered this threat to earth over the decades we actively increased it heedlessly.

Here is a pithy sign seen at the 2017 Paris climate talks:
            “You can’t have a strong economy without a fucking planet” Author Unknown

I belabor this due to our unwillingness to consider this reality: Life as enjoyed in the richest economies is unsustainable and becomes exponentially less sustainable as population increases and demand for these comforts widens. At the same time as demand increases, essential inputs such as fresh water, readily available minerals, arable land, and livable acreage of our spaceship decrease.

A friend read an earlier version of this post and suggested that the outline/ lecture style was not as immediate, readable and compelling as just writing about it in the way I think about it. However, I have no intention of simply writing a stream of opinions, prejudices and fears as they bubble up to awareness. Goddess knows we have enough of that on line.

Rather I am writing for my sanity and I hope to spark increased awareness and concern if read by another. My sanity requires that I am real about my level of existential dread, hopelessness and anger. But equally critical to my sanity is humor, whimsy, cat videos, the wit of others, and as a real sanity boost: agreement that this is reality, not simply a wallow in despair. Laughter elicited by silliness, whimsy, and dark humor all sustain my sanity. And I unapologetically consider myself a very funny depressed sort of person. All my friends and some acquaintances agree.

Here is one of my favorite quotes:
 “Coffee can help you live longer, unfortunately.” Author Unknown