Monday, November 19, 2018

Glorious Autumn


Western Oregon has been enjoying our most amazing of falls: cool sunny days, cold nights, and slow motion wardrobe changes by trees and bushes. Our summer stressed lawns perk up, preparing to remain green all winter. We are running short on rainfall this season, with a dry warm winter predicted. These have become more common. As a full blown Oregonian (born and deep soaked here) I love our wet winters. For me, water is life. I could happily return to earth as an Oregon coast bog plant. Be assured I am aware that life requires insolation (sun beating down on my head) but I relax in and feel cared for by cool dampness.

I spent about 6 years on the front range of the Rockies in Colorado. There the best of seasons (spring and autumn) were fleeting, while the cold and hot extremes were interminable. But most missed (perhaps only by me) was the comforting sound of tires swishing on rainy pavement. On the few occasions when this occurred I was gripped by a physical pang of yearning.


I submit this contradiction in my choices: while preferring to live in the most clement of locations (according to my preferences), I am irresistibly drawn to Earth’s least clement location: Antarctica. I have been twice to this otherworldly continent, once approaching from the tip of South America in an ice strengthened ship, and then from Tasmania on an ice breaker. The first expedition included South Georgia Island and the Falklands, and visited the archipelago of Antarctica which arcs toward Terra del Fuego. This trip afforded amazing icebergs and encounters with seven penguin species.  The ice breaker was needed to approach the Ross Sea to encounter Emperors. This took us through ice pack, near 
glaciers and ice sheets. 

I cannot possible articulate the wonder of this place. But I can explain my fascination with life in the coldest, driest, windiest place on earth: What was evolution up to? As a possible location to set up house, this continent seems to lack basic survivability.  But nature is quirky that way. There is bacteria that lives on methane and sulfur in scalding water vented at the bottom of the ocean. So in comparison, huddling with a crowd of fellow Emperors in the long dark winter at the bottom of the world waiting for your mate to return from a long journey to get fat, so that you can take your turn seems fairly doable.

Not for me mind you. I’m a complete comfort junkie.