Sunday, November 11, 2018

Changing Things


There are so many things in the world, my country and my heart I want changed. The only likely way I can make worldwide changes is to act on a local and personal scale. Today I will discuss one of my footprint reduction choices. I am not telling you this as “virtue signaling” because it is unlikely I will get to feel smug in your presence. Rather I want to share the ways I lessen my harmful impact on Mother Earth to reinforce my commitments and to (perhaps) encourage others to make changes too. Here is the article I read in Slate that really sparked this line of thought:


The earth is a closed system water wise. We cannot economically and environmentally create more clean water (existing water can be cleaned at a cost in energy inputs).  So, I like to envision the earth’s clean water supply like a motor home fresh water tank. I used to kid my mother about how she could take a shower in their moho with a cup of water. And of course, it is possible to refill an empty moho water tank from the hose at home, a state park, etc. But the earth cannot do same. So, I conserve water very consciously. I am currently fortunate to live where increasingly frequent and serious water shortfalls have not YET required this action. But why wait? The water I squander could be trucked to a nearby need. Also, making changes voluntarily is resulting in a change in me along the lines of “Be the change you want to see.”

So, I wash my hands in tap water (cool to cold, I don’t care): turning it on to briefly wet them, off while I scrub with soap, and then on to rinse. I use diluted dish soap as it rinses quickly. Disclaimer: I do not have much up close interaction with many possibly sick folk and rarely get sick myself. I will resist the temptation to discuss an over focus on germs. Your results may vary.

I have cut the time in the shower too. First, I use a bucket to capture the water it takes to get to shower temperature. In the dry season I water plants with this. In the wet season I use it to rinse the bath after my shower (while being open to better uses). I use a use liquid soap on a wash cloth to soap first my northern hemisphere, and then southern. During this process I enjoy the warm water down my back. Then I shampoo and rinse. A final rinse of the nether region with the shower wand, and all clean. There are local public hot tubs where I can sate my craving for a lazy submersion in warm water.

Two years ago I replaced my small front yard with an Eco Lawn Fleur de Lawn Blanche  which needs no fertilizer or weed killer, less water, and less frequent mowing. Also it is more wildlife friendly, including bees!

Must stop now. If I ever gain a reader’s attention, tedium will surly lose it.  Be well, be green.