Monday, November 26, 2018

Blogging for Equanimity

As November draws to a close, I am gearing up to maintain a degree of equanimity about the CHRISTMAS SEASON. I put that in all caps, as it becomes the background beat even before we pick the turkey. Last October I was shopping in a local home improvement store (Jerry’s) and discovered Christmas décor in full display. Oy

Here is what I enjoy about the season:

Rainy stormy weather leading to cozy in-home enjoyments
Christmas lights and décor, even (or especially) including folks who go beyond all out
A very small number of Christmas songs, and only on my terms
Christian observation of the birth of Jesus – in their homes, churches, etc.
My screen saver for December (pictured here)
Good deals on warm slippers (now I am just reaching)

Here is what has in years past eroded my equanimity:

The silly fight over “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays” or get stuffed
Claims of Christian suppression and governmental hostility (ahem: tax exemption)
A frenzied focus on shopping, parties, running around frantically to do everything
Annual opportunity to feel my disconnect about the “giving season”

That last one has legs for me. I am resistant to scheduled gift events. I prefer to be generous when feeling so. The expected reciprocity of gift exchange makes me quite uncomfortable. My family history with this is deep and old. So a major portion of my seasonal angst is quite specific to me. I am going to work to keep that tamped down when in the presence of those enjoying things I simply do not. It will help if in my presence you don’t bemoan perfectly normal weather for December.