Friday, November 23, 2018

Black Friday


I don’t like to watch election night results real time; I wait until the following morning when I am as ready as I will ever be to face the new reality. As a left leaner in a blue city in a blue state I was not prepared for the gut punch that was the election of Trump in November 2016. From the first second of his presidential run (which I could only assume would be taken as the joke it was), until Wed. morning following the election, I could not fathom how anyone took him seriously. My theory at the time was that his followers were no longer capable of discerning what policies were in their best economic interests (my take on non- wealthy folks supporting the dumpster fire that the Republican Party has morphed into).  But to fall for such obvious hucksterism was beyond understanding. My second theory was that some folks were so angry with economic and social changes and so distrustful that any vote would lead to what they wanted, that they decided to throw the ugliest available wrench into the works: Trump. That made (misguided) sense which turned out to be VERY effective.

Later I learned that lots of folks held their noses and voted for the Republican candidate (whoever the fuck it was) to get at least one more conservative Supreme Court judge (the seat stolen by the scruples free Mitch McConnell and his minions). Also, should they continue to hold the Senate, they could pack the lower courts with more judges who saw corporations as America’s primary constituency because that was what our founders had in mind. (I could not disagree more)

So, in addition to Trump’s election which was an existential threat to our democracy, continued support for Republicans in Congress sealed the suicide pack for this country.

Too strong?  We will see. Will we be able to restore a working political system for the majority of Americans, and regain some respect from the rest of humanity? Will voters comprehend the dark forces that they have unleashed? Will we be able to overcome the current capture of representation by a minority of the population? And most critically, will we be able to reclaim our original organizing principle: Government by and FOR THE PEOPLE?

So, although I have always voted my values, it became crystal clear that was inadequate to today’s crisis. Politically awakened, I increased my support of charities supporting families in need and added support to the RESISTANCE. Here are my new support commitments in the political arena: ACLU, Protect Democracy.Org, and Equal Justice Initiative

Wow, impressive use of the checkbook! (That was sarcasm) I am still trying to find a local resistance group to work with. I do not find myself impressive in this fight, but I have not retired from it yet.  

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."George Carlin