Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Two upbeat videos on YouTube

I managed to Skype my uncle and aunt who live in a retirement facility (they dubbed "THE HOME") when they moved in years ago. Unlike the one my parents moved to which had 3 levels of care on site (independent, assisted, and hospital) their facility is based on the "age in place concept". I ask you, aren't we ALL aging in place along the lines of: wherever you go, there your are: aging. The theory is that if your needs increase additional services will be brought to you in your apartment.  Covid-19 has resulted in every resident being confined to their apartment and the only visitors allowed are Hospice providers. That is exactly as my aunt explained it. Two pre-requested meals are delivered (sight unseen) in the morning by a staff person who scurries away after knocking. My uncle said the only thing he knows of his surroundings is what can be seen from their windows. For all he knows the rest of Seattle has been abandoned except for those still making sounds in neighboring apartments.

Among other newsy updates I learned that one of my cousins who is capable, resourceful, energetic and thankfully very funny (otherwise I would have to hate her) is, in addition to continuing her administration of a struggling non-profit from home, sewing masks for the community. As I do not have a sewing machine (having lost that privilege years ago due to malpractice) I was bold enough to request she sew two for me and my sweetie. Of COURSE she delivered. And today she linked me to a YouTube video she prepared at work before they were compelled to age in place at home.

Here is what she said about it:
Panty liner mask. Genius!

I am attaching a video we made at work a couple of weeks ago (before we all got confined to home). We sent this out to our supporters hoping to give them a bit of a laugh. Our 90 seconds of practice really paid off as you can see by the smooth choreography!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLbru8bvrGU&feature=youtu.be

And here is a video that also addresses the struggle of crafting a mask for we hapless folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuD84Yi5eY

If you have limited time, and who doesn't, you can skip to minute 7 for the mask making wisdom.