Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Humor in the time of covid

Combination Meter - A cluster f**k display
As my long time (or since Feb. 14th this year) readers will know: I am driving my favorite auto model ever- a Prius. And, as a reminder, this is a newer model (2017) than the one (2006) I foolishly swapped for "The Beast". I am still working to decipher it's many technological mysteries, deprovements, and inanities which were blessedly not yet born in 2006. I failed to notice one of these for several days in the clutter of the "Combination Meter". To my surprise, every time the engine is properly turned off, there is an ECO score displayed which disappears when the driver's door is opened. Thus it was ethereal in nature until I knew to look for it. Being me, I now HAVE to look.

What is displayed is an ECO score which is Prius giving you a percentage grade compared to the ideal, which I can only assume involves a trip using neither gas, nor battery, but only fairy dust. Here is how I came to this conclusion:

The four elements of the score are: ECO Start, ECO Cruise, ECO Stop and use of fan and or A/C (herein referred to as Driver Comfort). It also displays your MPG for the trip.

My Start results: I am almost always praised for my initial acceleration (almost none), but sometimes dinged for acceleration (some) used to achieve a speed demanded by safe travel flow and avoidance of armed conflict. As any one who has ridden with me will attest: I am a pokey little old lady (LOL) who should not be allowed to impede reasonable folks.

Neither my Cruise actions nor my Stop actions have yet been noted. This I attribute to my hybrid personality which is seldom in a hurry and always tries to let momentum carry me forward to the perfect position behind the car ahead so I neither need to brake nor accelerate (i.e. fairy dust drive mode). Also, LOL mode.

Occasionally I am also dinged for using the fan to circulate air, heat, or horror of horrors some A/C otherwise classified under Driver Comfort. I have lost points to this, and plan to lose more in the future I can tell you.

Now we get to the meat of my complaint. Do you recall the TV show "My Mother the Car" which unaccountably lasted a full season in 1965-1966? My harsh ECO evaluator reminds me of my Mom. One of her most notable foibles (and a major driver of my neurosis) was a nearly impossible to meet standard applied to all requests, imaginary requirements, and occasionally actual needs. Just recently I received an ECO score of 79% where I was admonished to improve mileage by decreasing acceleration. Also, I got 57.9 miles to the gallon. 

Mom! Your show has been cancelled!