Thursday, February 25, 2021

The many pleasures of being a female are being sorely tried

I have lived in my current home since 2007. Until recently (due to Covid induced  boredom) I have begun tackling home organization, cleaning and "repairing" around the home like a willing but not quite competent husband. It started with the garage. This will strain credulity, but I have been a disorganized garager. But the aggravation of having a 3 deep stack of bins and wanting the bottom one got the ball rolling. After a look on line I decided that I would gift Jerry's with my purchase power. I bought a HEAVY set of shelves (2' deep, 4' wide and 6' tall, with press-board shelves) to house my storage containers. Of course I needed my strong boyfriend to help me assemble this: some fun and no injuries were had. This looked so good that I embarked on sweeping the floor and walls. With some commodious storage available I was able to rationalize things putting like with like (eg: one shelf has folding chairs and tables and outdoor cooking items. Another shelf accommodates what I hope will once again be collection of the few plastics still possible to recycle in Eugene. This involves separation by type and size. Hence a devoted shelf!

Side note: I made use the shelf at 6 f' elevation by storing clean packing supplies (Amazon brown paper, bubble wrap and thin foam sheets) in a bin which I can tip up without a ladder. Also, empty boxes which I accumulate until they overwhelm and I then offload on Craig's list as free clean moving supplies. Near the end of any month, they disappear from my porch within hours of posting.

On the same wall, I corralled everything devoted to yard care (except the mower) so that a job I do not particularly relish, is quicker and easier to gear up for and get done. There is a bit more to do here, but efficiency is at a level 9. 

The other side wall is for bulky items (recycling and garbage rollers) and stacked comfortable chairs and foot stools awaiting spring's arrival. Also, this year I cleaned the fabric umbrella after being inspired by a You Tube video. I have had THAT since 2006 and have only "swept" off occasionally (every 5 years or so, but much less than needed). Due to it's extreme embedded filth, I opted to pre clean it some using Krud Kutter which is excellent. That silly woman on YT removes hers (more than one!) at LEAST annually and pops them in the washing machine. Ultimately I braved that step (cherishing my WM and fearing harm). Two runs through using some soap and some more KK resulted in a big improvement. Plenty good enough for me, whose standards for outside stuff is about half that of inside. 

Ok, enough of the self congratulatory smugness. Here is the source of my gender disappoint: I could not unscrew my front hose as it was used by roof cleaners who tightened it beyond reason. This was my potential solution to the earlier problem, also hose based, where in something is on one end of my back yard hose which I cannot remove, but also cannot tighten so it won't leak badly. I have no idea when or how that was added to my back yard hose. I suspect the Y chromosome was involved. And I discover these two problems fatal to my window cleaning plans. I have also never cleaned my outside windows - I count on the rain for that. I was all gowned up (dressed, wearing rubber boots and rubber gloves) and equipped with hose attachments, window "mop", squeegee, and cleaning supplies from house and garage. Hence my rage which I have just blogged out while drinking (ok, pop).