Thursday, February 4, 2021

I am gradually improving

I am revisiting life in my body. My lifelong approach to stress could not possibly serve me worse. I pull into my shell, hide from life, use food as friend and comfort, and resist dealing with being a physical entity. I was losing emotional resilience and fitness while gaining weight even before the Covid depredations to the little structure in my life. It was my two scheduled fitness activities (pool class and personal training) that kept my spirit from complete despair. In addition to the mechanics of needing to "gear up" for these activities, (by which I mean getting sufficiently and appropriately dressed) it gave me someone(s) to interact with. I knew the social aspect was frosting, but failed to see that it contained almost all the nutrition too!

The puppy on the walk.
Before I knew when either of those activities might restart I got more engaged with home activities such as cleaning and putting away outdoor living items, changing out light bulbs and cleaning outdoor fixtures, tidying and cleaning up the garage, and making better use of in home storage. These may sound minor and insufficient to normally functioning folks, but it is rarely visited territory for this natural sloth.

And then, almost as if I primed the pump, I got an invitation back to the gym and my trainer!. Oh happy day. I have been just twice now, but already I am resisting less having salad for lunch. Also, I joined another friend for a little walk with her two dogs and was surprised it felt good, not painful (the walking part).

Here's my current approach to improving my diet: actually eating two regular meals a day - shooting for three! Bit by bit, choosing better although not documenting and quantifying the results. It is more like pushing out wrong choices with good ones. Also, I have not started a weekly weigh-in, as I have in past weight loss periods. I just want to pay attention to staying more active and improving food choices. For now my attention is on how much less anxious, annoyed, and disconnected I feel.