Saturday, January 4, 2020

Breaking the silence

I have been experiencing my holiday tradition of being put-off by the kerfuffle, and alarmed by the way American's throw concerns about compulsive gift giving ( i.e.environmental and personal financial harms) under the bus of the future. So, my usual amount of merriment.

Folks who know me well are aware that my gift giving is sporadic and (one might reasonably conclude) deliberately untethered from society's proscribed gifting events. As I may have mentioned before, my favorite recognized day of celebration is Arbor Day (the last Friday in April). This event is chock full of no expectations (cards, gifts, festive meals) and replete with meaning for those of us who are moss-loving tree huggers.

But enough of that! There is intriguing financial news to ponder. In today's Register Guard there was this interesting business related item about a lawsuit:

MADISON, WIS.
Delta workers file lawsuit over uniforms
Hundreds of Delta Air Lines employees have filed a pair of class action lawsuits against Wisconsin-based clothing manufacturer Lands’ End, claiming that uniforms they are required to wear are causing serious medical problems.
The lawsuits allege that the uniforms, created by fashion designer Zac Posen and unveiled in May 2018, have caused numerous Delta employees to break out in skin rashes, suffer hair loss, low white blood cell counts, migraines, cause breathing difficulties and other medical problems.

I had to read it twice to ensure that it was the manufacturer and not the fashion designer who was being sued for serious medical problems attributed to the new uniforms. Cuz, I was thinking that was some seriously criminal fashion design to cause so many health problems. As I am sure you are aware (or will very soon will be) fashion has a long history of causing medical mischief. Most obviously (to me) is the crippling of women who wear high heeled pointy toed shoes in order to ?? (I am unclear on the purpose of this fashion choice). And while it is clearly a hazard to oxygenation of the brain, many men continue to wear garrotes (again: Purpose??) as part of the standard business uniform. This choice does however explain the frequency of executive decision-caused calamity in the financial news.

My current screen saver
In the interest of full disclosure: Today I fell victim to an unplanned and hours long cruise through the women's clothing racks at St. V. de P. I had unusually good luck finding good fits, colors, fabrics and "style" in items which dominate my wardrobe. I scored 5 shirts (two for exercise), 1 sweater, 2 casual jackets and 2 vests for the staggering sum of $53.35. At least no additional environmental harm resulted from these purchases (except my gas to there) and negligible financial damage. Also, looking good in some "new" things cheered me up.