Monday, July 8, 2019

Treachery abounds

Content Warning: topics today concern two of my current nemeses

First, most serious nemesis: GRAVITY (lifelong and ramping up)

In a gay mood I headed out for a pleasant bike ride around 7:30 am. It was cool, a little overcast, I was breakfasted, sun screened on the minuscule unclothed regions, and wearing my new long-sleeved, high neck Coolibar shirt which fits like a short sheath dress.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH14MVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a lovely hour on the bike path toward town and around quiet streets in the Whit. Waiting for a pedestrian walk sign to recross River Road (my days of dare-devilishness, which never existed are so over) when while straddling my stationary bike trying to perfect the pedal position, I fell over on the sidewalk, banging my left elbow. I could tell it was not serious, but I took a moment for all the witnesses to drive on before further amusing them with my getting up routine. A sweet young mother with a tyke in a jogging pram crossed from the adjacent corner to see if I was OK. By all non-ego measures I was (but I suspect my new Coolibar shirt was christened with my blood). It was.  So, at the next ped-xing light I WALKED across and down a block to my home street. Where I bravely got back on the treacherous gravity-allied bike and rode home.

As it was all of 64 degrees by that time, I was all sweaty, and a bit bloodied. I rinsed blood as needed and put my shirt, bra and bike gloves to soak in cold water.  After I finish this blog, I will ice my elbow, which is not hurting, but surely will at some point.

Thanks to Bob Thaves
Second, and semi-serious nemesis: KALE 

A good friend who has gone to the dark side smoothy-wise (where my trainer and perhaps other loved ones are already residing) and is "enjoying" veggie infused and fruit improved smoothies. I wish her well. She suggested that I might wish to delay this rant until I have actually tasted one. But that would critically impair my freedom of uninformed expression. (Also deprive me of a silly rant.) As you can see from the entirely unaltered comic I am not alone in this opinion.