Saturday, March 30, 2019

Two major epiphanies in two days

First the minor epiphany: I get to have good things even sometimes when I am convinced I don't'. You may recall that on March 15th I posted a lament about my dead microwave which can no longer be replaced with one that will fit my microwave gap. I WAS WRONG!! I sought an opinion from the good folks at Neil Kelly Company in Southtown. I passed their door on my way back to my car after purchasing a new bra (it has come to this: I am back in an underwire due to increasing gravitation effects). It occurred to me that I could just ask them for a road map of how to approach my problem. Not anticipating this visit in advance, I did not have the damning measurements on hand. When asked the width of my nuker I guessed 40". Apparently that is never the width of this type. They are either 30" or 36". I said "well, it certainly isn't 30 (it is). I think this was a clue, perhaps not the first, that I was in a state of grief and panic, and as such should be handled kindly. Their recommendation (which I had ruled out before based on bad data and numerous assumptions) was for me to take my measurements to Oldfield's, now Kelly's and seek EXPERT assistance. Huh!

So I swung by home to take a third or fourth careful measurement of the current set up. I discovered to my joy and chagrin, that the part of the nuker which was flush with the cabinet face was in fact 30". I had been measuring the outer edge (the door) which was slightly wider. Oy. So off to Oldfield's, where within one glorious hour I had selected a very nice nuker (which was in stock) and scheduled installation for April 2, for less than $350. Happiness and gratitude for the willingness to seek help, and getting it, was overwhelming.

Now, the major epiphany. First a little background: a long time ago when visiting my aunt and uncle in Seattle, they shared their nightly(?) viewing of the Rachel Maddow "news" hour. I have always found her abrasive more than humorous. For years now I have been getting my only TV based "news" from the late night witty and playful folks (Colbert, Oliver, Meyers, Noah, and formerly the great Stewart). So here's the epiphany: I need no assistance being outraged as I can do that in my sleep. I sometimes need help with finding the humor. I need my despair clothed in humor, and sometimes I need others to help with that.