Monday, June 21, 2021

There's a lot to this TED talk

And some additional connections I made. This is a short, engaging summary of Barry Schwartz’s “The Paradox of Choice.”: https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_the_paradox_of_choice#t-1159965 

Years ago when I had a moho I occasionally wanted to take a two vehicle jaunt with my friend Julie. And it was inevitably more fraught to make a plan than I could imagine. She suffered greatly for fear of choosing a less than optimal option. Consequently, many times we never got to a solution. She stayed home for something she thought might turn out better, and I did my own jaunt. I can somewhat empathize as I often am tortured with a different version of decision paralysis: is there a choice which meets my needs and desires without being unnecessarily complicated with options I don't desire? (smart phone)

I did not need convincing that our choices have become overwhelming and for me burdensome at times. At the end of the talk he hints at a possible re-calibration: The affluent societies (and in the US, the affluent PORTION of society) could voluntarily scale back their acquisition of things and big experiences and reap the benefits of less pressure, more deep appreciation of what is chosen and reduced pressure on the environment. The world is close to or past sustainable use of resources (clean air, clean water, arable land, and many other important components of modern life) and currently impoverishing the planet of biological diversity. Our current pace of using, owning, and despoiling is unsustainable and ultimately a path to a poverty of options. 

I, for one, hope we can choose to limit our impacts before our ability to choose no longer exists.

Sorry, but this topic always takes me to dark imaginings.

Here is an example of what human ingenuity and accomplish toward less destructive life choices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No6qTbn0J4s