Monday, June 28, 2021

Beaver mania

I am re-reading "Eager Beavers and Why They Matter" by Ben Goldfarb. These guys could play a very large role in healing our environment. They love water, are dependent on it and conserve it (like me!).

Here is a brief video explaining some of their wonderfulness:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cyPyEQ4OHI 

Boyfriend caught this guy (gal?)

My current aggravation is my neighbor across the street who is clueless about maintaining a resilient lawn and best practices. Every summer once he has started watering, he waters EVERY morning. This prevents the grass from growing deep roots, which help it survive a reduction in moisture (should it occur in this case) and periods of higher levels of groundwater loss. As it happened, we experienced quite an early, warmer spell this spring, and although EWEB had not yet made available weekly watering guidance, I put some moisture into my eco lawn environment. He had a routine, and stuck to it, and within a few days his lawn mysteriously died. I suspect no hardiness had been built up. Sadly, he asked a friend/yard guy (1) what might have happened. He was told it did not look like something killed it (eg: fungus), so it just needed to be re-started. Never mind this was in mid June, warmer than usual (2) June in Eugene. He was told to aerate, then heavily seed, then aggressively water. Of course he is on that path. In addition his sprinklers are misdirected and keep some driveway, side walk, and ultimately sewers well watered too.

He is a good neighbor, and I quite like him. He has done neighborly things for me. I am uncertain if any suggestions from me would be received well, and I don't want to damage our slight, but friendly interactions (I have good reason to not trust my communication skills in this area).

Nursing kit, so cute, and soft!

The fact that North America was beaver infested until it was discovered that the beaver's under coat was excellent HAT material is the genesis of environmental destruction in what was a very rich continental eco system. Beavers CREATE rich eco systems and pump up the water table. The current activities to re-establish beavers in the too dry west should be given more support and resources. STAT! If you want to read more, this article is readily available, otherwise you will need to wait until I return the beaver bible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impacts_of_beavers#Invasive_impacts

1. What kind of yard guy would suggest trying to revive a lawn once summer has commenced in earnest? I would have waited for spring and delighted in no mowing!

2. Warmer colder dryer (etc) than usual is becoming a problematic assertion. Normal is being revised rapidly. Previous normals will not be returning, perhaps ever.