Monday, February 25, 2019

Boycotting the Oscars

I have not watched the Oscars since "The English Patient" took Best Picture (and 8 others) in 1997, in competition with "Fargo". It also won over "Fargo" for script and Best Leading Actor over Billy Bob Thornton in "Sling Blade". I could go on. Here is a link to that misbegotten awards debacle: https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1997. I was in Yuma watching it with my parents, who had seen none of these movies, so it was my honor and duty to point out the catastrophic wrongheadedness of the Academy.
I ask you, have you re-watched Fargo? How many times? (I have, twice, and will likely do so again within days). Have you re-watched the so called winner? I rest my case.

However, I do indulge in looking at the red carpet gowns which are panned or praised in a format WAY less annoying than real time. That was how I discovered this gem in a Slate article: "The Best Oscar Fashions Weren't on the Red Carpet" by Matthew Dessem. The article did not delight, but boy howdy did the video linked here:https://youtu.be/PloQ3iLEdAA

Melissa McCarthy is regal, imperious, and as such, hilarious. I am going to make this a short blog so I can go to You Tube and re-watch her spoofs of Sean Spicer on Saturday Night Live.

bye!