Friday, November 1, 2019

Another Boo day tallied in the Fun column

My Halloween tradition for well over a decade has been to share dinner, a silly/stupid/scary movie and her neighborhood T&T'ers with a friend. Some years there has been an unwise predation of the treat basket, a few years only the necessary quantity of quality control, and even fewer years complete abstention. But there are a few guaranteed traditions:

She will do most of the door duty as she is as "get-up-and-go", as I am "sit-here-until-bedtime".
The selected movie is invariably less compelling than our off and on conversation and door duty.
And finally, we will be unable get the perfect video as there seems to be a financially motivated ban on stream-able (formerly rent-able) gems.

Oh, yes, and we both cherish this tradition. I have a sad and spotty childhood Halloween history. What stands out for me are these themes:

    Mom insisted that we be home by dark resulting in awkward and unproductive trick or treating. Usually the family was having dinner together (as this was before home computers, TV on demand and smart phones) and were confused by our tactic.

    I never gave any forethought to my costume, and hence it disappointed and/or, failed to be WORKABLE. The most notable failure was the year I inveigled my 3.5 years younger brother to be a two headed alien ghost (under a sheet with springy head thingies). Our heights, strides and moods were in opposition all night and headway was impaired by having to share a grip on the sack held between us. That was a high point in my history.

   The candy was better then. What wasn't? There was the occasional homemade treat which Mom insisted could not be trusted and hence trashed, and once a toothbrush (retained). But by and large it was a haul of sweetness which I longed to control until I was "allowed" to (in college out of state and beyond parental oversight). It is true that the lion's share of parental values were successfully installed in my psyche, but glaringly unsuccessful was any moderation regarding sweets.

So thank you dear friend for making my grownup holiday experience superior to the childhood one. I learned this secret in the 12 step club: make your holidays what you want them to be, and acquire chosen family. Thanks, Chosen Mom.

Now a fun video from our northern friends' weather channel:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/videos/gallery/nasa-engineers-carve-the-best-pumpkins/sharevideo/6099530817001/most_popular

Boo!