Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The current state of my psyche

I bet you have heard these pithy* aphorisms:

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."— William Gibson

“Gas lighting is lying with a purpose to confuse and control.” ― Tracy Malone 


 
The Scream, 1893 by Edvard Munch
Of course all of these have been pressed into service in my therapy sessions since November 2016. As I scramble to maintain a grasp on sanity, reality, and my rejection of murder and/or suicide as a solution to my despair these have been tiny tiny itsy bitsy pinpoints of light at the end of this fucking tunnel. 

But things age getting worse. The abuse that has pelted down from the highest position in the land, has officially become Republican talking points and marching orders as they scramble to derail the impeachment process. We are under siege from our elected Executive and Representative (and ever more often, Judicial) branches of government.

At the end of an amazing article in The Washington Post today by Catherine Rampell
there is this conclusion (and intensification) of another well known aphorism:

When you hear hoofbeats think not horses or even zebras, but UNICORNS.
 
The problem with this is that this is an aphorism is service of the rot at the core of "our chosen servants". **

                                                                Notes: 

* I did google aphorism to be sure that was the word I wanted. It was, but pithy is part of it's basic meaning. Hence here I have referenced "pithy pithy observation that contains a general truth"

** Of course I do not mean your and MY chosen servants, but those of the currently ruling minority.