Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Oh my goodness

First, my letter to the editor WAS published, however, under an entirely reversed headline. My point was most emphatically not : "Birthrate is Not the Problem". My most generous take is that 1) they were concerned that "fecundity" was too literate for the readership and 2) the entire thrust of my argument was too obscure for the editor. I suspect that the prior ownership of the Guard would not have treated this submission so poorly.

Viscount James Bryce
Second, I found a quote in a Slate article today that is instructive in today's drama. This quote comes from a book published in 1888, so I think it's potential for being part of today's "witch hunt" is vanishingly small.  The prophetic quote:

“Impeachment,” wrote British historian and ambassador Viscount James Bryce, “is the heaviest piece of artillery in the congressional arsenal, but because it is so heavy it is unfit for ordinary use. It is like a hundred-ton gun which needs complex machinery to bring it into position, an enormous charge of powder to fire it, and a large mark to aim at.”

Here is my take on impeachment activities during my lifetime:
  • President Richard Nixon:    a large glowing mark
  • President William Clinton:  a trivial tribal target
  • President Donald Trump:     a radioactive threat to democracy
Don, he means you. 
 
The Three Key Questions of Impeachment House Democrats have pulled out the “hundred-ton gun.” By Laurence H. Tribe