Monday, September 2, 2019

FALL ! ! (In case you missed yesterday's blog)

This morning I performed my second favorite holiday ritual: the replacement of Summer with FALL in my living room niche.  (Note for the future: my first favorite holiday ritual is simply noting that it is Arbor Day, nationally recognized on the last Friday of April.)

I am in awe of folks who decorate up the yin yang (wazoo) a for favorite or any holiday (extreme awe). I use the word awe here as described on Wikipedia:

      The term awe stems from the Old English word ege, meaning “terror, dread, awe,” which may have arisen from the Greek word áchos, meaning “pain".


Being an extreme minimalist (except when trying for humor in a blog, obviously), I experience holiday decorating awe as about 95% Old English and 5% regular awe (i.e. as a positive emotion). Here is my solution to wanting to recognize seasons (I have 5.5 of them) without breaking my budget, a sweat, or a small storage footprint. Except for two large door wreaths and a stock of votive candles, I have the entirety of seasonal variation stored in one (72" tall, 30" wide and 19" deep) cupboard in the garage for less than a cubic yard.

 

And here is my exuberant visual homage to Autumn as experienced by fortunate Eugeneans. I have spent approximately 8 lifetime autumns outside Oregon, all on the front range of Denver. As I lived in Houston (not by choice, best forgotten, and horrific beyond the telling) from a Feb. thru a bit of Aug., I can only assume the fall there also sucked. 

Hence I have enjoyed nearly 60 amazing seasons. Yes, I am counting my first few years alive which not actually recalled can be interpolated. While Colorado's two best seasons (spring and fall) were lovely, they failed to rise to amazing as they flashed by in a great hurry to get either to cold or too hot while remaining relentlessly sunny.

 

 --- Please excuse the wacky font selections and sizes as I experienced interface technicalities which I have tired of trying to overcome. There is some fall outside waiting for me to participate.