Saturday, May 25, 2019

Present choice vs past behaviors

My "environmental sensibility" was sparked in early childhood when Oregon instituted PSAs  decrying littering of our beaches, forests and roads. I collected recyclable glass beer bottles on the Seattle sound with cousins, washed them, and redeemed them for candy money (for the environment!). As an adult who blows her nose a lot (who SHOULD use handkerchiefs, but got disgusted with the reality of that practice) I once lost a kleenex out an open car window and promptly burst into tears of despair and guilt (luckily I was not the driver).

My most significant "sacrifice" for mother earth was failing to breed. That is NOT WHY I did not have children, but the global impact is the same. A brief digression: often folks decry an abortion as the potential loss of a Bach or Newton, but rarely consider the just as likely loss of a Hitler or neighbor with 50 cats. Just saying, not breeding does not guarantee a net loss or benefit, but it does guarantee one benefit: one less lifetime human footprint.

And I have made other choices that involve trade offs (paying more to get a Prius even though I am a low mileage gal, so this was financially silly, and forsaking a THIRD trip to Antarctica as the two I had were amazing and really two too many carbon wise.) Also I have tried to be a conservative consumer, by not buying a lot of stuff or clothes. Additional disclosure here: I have owned 2 class B motorhomes, and a beach condo in earlier times. All of this is a portion of the exhaustive argument I have been having with myself as I considered, researched, and actually purchased a TOW VEHICLE.

I sold my last RV August 2017 as I was using it less and it needed more and more $$ upkeep $$. But I have been missing high season (anytime but summer) jaunts around, and summer dashes to the coast when there is a predicted 30+ degree temperature variance. Not wanting the additional cost and headaches of a second vehicle, I have began exploring light trailers that meet my glamping needs. It became apparent that my needs would not be satisfied by anything under 2500#, and hence not tow-able by my Prius (duh), or even a slightly less fuel efficient vehicle. So there I was, glumly researching what mgp sacrifice would need to laid at the alter of a new "escape pod solution".

Yesterday I purchased the results of a moderate search (the universe of choices, and the conflicting available data on makes and models wore out my tolerance) at Lithia Toyota Springfield. I wanted to find the solution at Kendall in Eugene, but it was not to be. I own, but have not yet taken possession of a 2018 (used!) Toyota RAV 4 Adventure. It has a tow limit of 3500#, which boyfriend has pared down to how much HE would drag. But he was the one who pushed me over my fears (change) and loss (beloved Prius) by saying: "you could use a change." Yes, totally. Also, I almost never make even questionable financial decisions. This may be one! But it is one I will survive emotionally and financially. If I never find something to tow, or I just can't abide the average mileage I am now getting, or I cannot move on from Prius, I can trade it in for a new Prius or other more environmental choice. I am truly blessed with options beyond my usual explorations of such.

Admission: I could have swapped my Prius for the RAV yesterday, but I needed time to start the grieving process and try to remove a favorite (as it is suggestive but no longer available) Dutch Bros. window sticker.