Thursday, January 21, 2021

That was some weird shit.

That was former President George W. Bush's comment following Trump's "American Carnage" inaugural address. From today's vantage point it is clear that it was not so much an indictment of America as the only campaign promise he fulfilled.

It might be safe to wake up.

The most hope I currently have for the unbelievable number of folks who wanted MORE of the same, is that some percentage of them will wake from the fever which so easily spread. Those MAGA rallies were super spreading events for which we never mounted a definitive defense.

I had planned to watch the inauguration real time, but it was Wed. morning which I see less of than other mornings ( following the Tues. Pot, Passion and Pizza date night). But I caught the end of Biden's address and all that followed. Then I watched clips of the two swearing in ceremonies. Wow! Two adults who I believe actually understood and meant to fulfill their oath. In addition, folks looked excited to take on the monumental task before them which will be complicated by Covid, obstruction, and state of the economy.

And I will add this in case you are not sure what I mean when I say economy: I mean the way ALL of us "earn a living" and interact with fellow travelers on planet earth. Just as everything is at core "political" it is also at core "economic". All of our choices (personal and communal) impact our world, even to the  most elemental aspects: the air we breathe and the water we drink. At least starting today our  Executive Branch is helmed by folks who will use science and compassion as opposed to trying to bully the world into submission.