Friday, December 21, 2018

How I was prescient about Facebook


About fifteen years ago I reluctantly opened a Facebook account in order to know what some of my friends were up to. A close group of us (5) regularly lunched together, but that became more and more difficult to schedule. When we did meet, goings on that had been shared on FB were news to me! So, reluctantly I signed up. (Critical note: having no children or grandchildren to keep up with, FB was entirely optional for me.)

I rapidly became annoyed by the level of banal responses to postings on postings on postings from friends of friends of strangers, yada yada yada. Within this barrage of chafe there were a few seeds that were of interest to me. But as I am a thorough-going minimalist in nearly every way, I was unequal to maintaining my sanity in that storm.

In addition to the affront to my preference for curated incoming data, was an instinct that FB was THE EVIL EMPIRE. I was not prescient enough to know exactly how it was evil, but surely it WAS evil. And so it has proven to be. It is a blight on our national conversation, and even worse than that in countries where it’s the dominant access point to the internet. In addition, it has proven to be a tremendous time suck and distraction generator for many folks who choose to (or must) respond whenever it calls. I see all those bowed heads, faces illuminated by flickering light “connecting” with someone via FB while sitting across from a live person. Surely this in not an enhancement to real connections with others.

I do not have a solution for more social folks than I (nearly everyone, it seems), nor for folks with must-follow family and friends who share their lives on this platform. But I am serenely and smugly satisfied with the “just say no solution” for me.