Sunday, June 21, 2020

Fading away

I recently had a further DEXA scan of my bones, as I was diagnosed opsteopenic in 2011. My relevant family history is my mom having osteoporosis which led to two compression fractures in her lower spine. She had birdy little bones (unlike me), but she probably benefited from being rigorous in her dietary control (unlike me). However she was a regular drinker over several more decades than I was, and she was even less inclined to the sporting life than I.

That said, apparently my bones (and ONLY my bones) are beginning to fade away. I recall how annoyed Dad was when he was shown Mom's scans which looked ghostly. For several years he challenged Dr. Butt that she needed to have better scans before he was finally informed that the ghostly appearance of her bones was reality. (On a side note: my parsimonious tendencies were explained when I discovered that Dr. Butt's reluctance to move more quickly, was due to his impression that my parents had serious financial concerns which ruled out self-pay for additional interventions.)

So, I am working to get my actual DEXA scores spanning the last decade to quantify the fading.  My mom paid a large price in her social life, her activity choices, and years of discomfort before a surgical intervention stabilized the spinal compression damage and finally enabled her get out of bed and off major pain medication.

Isn't she a tiny powerhouse!
On the up side: my recently reclaimed avoirdupois makes all my activities even more weight bearing! But sadly, my deep water aerobics did not benefit the health of my skeleton. I KNEW that I would not be allowed to focus on exercise I enjoyed so much. Apparently against all reason, gravity IS my friend. Aaaaarrrrggghhh.

Ruth's Workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=aSRTx3jg4RA